Going into rehab is only the start of the battle against addiction. The journey to recovery is often long and challenging and to make it, you have to relearn how to take care of yourself. That’s where self-care comes in.
Self-care in addiction recovery involves more than treating yourself to spa days or taking holidays. It involves taking care of yourself not only physically, but also mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Making your needs a priority and paying attention to them ensures that you’re not in constant survival mode during recovery.
As one of the top addiction treatment centers in Missouri, we at Grand Falls Center for Recovery recognize the importance of self-care in complementing recovery. That’s why we incorporate a range of self-care practices into our addiction treatment programs.
Self-care Practices in Recovery
We believe that teaching those struggling with drugs and alcohol how to take holistic care of themselves goes a long way toward improving recovery outcomes. Other than the counseling sessions that are part of our treatment methods, we also encourage the following self-care practices.
- For emotional self-care, we encourage journaling, meditation, practicing gratitude, and therapy sessions.
- For mental self-care, we teach our clients to pursue new hobbies, learn new skills, visit new places that interest them, or any other positive, healthy activities that activate their minds.
- For physical self-care, we encourage those in recovery to take up exercises including dancing, walking, jogging, riding bikes, going to the gym, etc as well as getting enough sleep and eating healthy diets.
- For social self-care, we aim to help clients develop a network of individuals who’ll encourage, support and guide them in recovery. We do this by encouraging them to connect with others at the rehab or through community support groups, having regular visits and group therapy with family, and cultivating healthy friendships and relationships with others.
- For spiritual self-care, we encourage those in recovery to spend time in nature, take up meditation, do yoga, or even volunteer.
By practicing these mindful living techniques, we believe that people in recovery will be in a better position to overcome addiction and make positive contributions both in society and their lives.
We Can Help You Get Better
At Grand Falls Recovery, our client’s well-being is our top priority. We offer dual diagnosis and comprehensive inpatient addiction treatment in Missouri to ensure that everyone who walks through our doors gets quality care. Additionally, once treatment ends, we offer relapse prevention and aftercare planning to ensure clients can face life after treatment.
We incorporate and encourage clients to pursue different self-care practices as part of our daily addiction treatment routines to ensure they stay focused and energized on recovery and have the confidence to face challenges they may encounter.
Get in touch with us today to learn more about our addiction treatment programs and how we can help you achieve and maintain sobriety. We’ll be happy to help you.